Developing My Sinatra Portfolio Project

Posted by Eric Shiels on October 22, 2018

I just finished development of my Sinatra Portfolio Project. It is called Program Tracker and it is designed to allow you to manually track programs on your computer. I’ve been trying to make portfolio projects that I would actually use, or that solve a problem that I have. I’ve had to reset my computers in the past due to hardware failures, and one thing that can be hard to track and port over after the reset is all of the programs on your machine. This would allow you to track your programs and a link to where you got the program so that if you need to reset your PC, you can download the programs you had before. In this post, I’m going to go through the steps I went through when developing my website and provide some advice for those who will be working on this project in the future.

I started out this project with a planning period. I spent way more time planning out this program than the last one, and I think it paid off. I mapped out the object relationships and listed the views I would need. I wireframed most of the views as well. Next, I started stubbing out files and setting up the folder structure. This project can look overwhelming at the beginning. It involves way more files that the first project. But this step really helped me keep track of everything that needed to be done. Then I just started working. A lot of different parts go into this project, so don’t worry if it takes you a while. Also, don’t worry if everything doesn’t go to plan. I originally planned the categories as a separate object with its own relationships. I worked on it for hours, but I wasn’t able to get it to work. In the end, I decided to cut my losses and returned the category to a text field. The last thing I worked on was the views and the CSS. I spent a lot of time on making the site look as good as it could, and I’m satisfied with the result. I used paletton to design the colour palette.The last thing I worked on was the views and the CSS. I spent a lot of time on making the site look as good as it could, and I’m satisfied with the result. I used paletton to design the colour palette.The last thing I worked on was the views and the CSS. I spent a lot of time on making the site look as good as it could, and I’m satisfied with the result. I used paletton to design the colour palette.The last thing I worked on was the views and the CSS. I spent a lot of time on making the site look as good as it could, and I’m satisfied with the result. I used paletton to design the colour palette. While developing this project, I found a few useful Ruby gems. Chronic is a date parser that can accept dates in almost any format imaginable. And valid_email2 can allow you to check email formatting better than the built-in Ruby Regex and allow you to check that the email provider/domain against a mail exchanger record database.

This project was definitely tougher than the last one, but I feel that it turned out well, and I look forward to building on the skills I developed. You can check out mt project here.